Monday, November 9, 2009

The new definition of CRAZY

Until this past summer, I was only vaguely aware that Ironman competitions existed. I mean, I knew about them, heard about them, and understood that they were sort of the "ultra" triathlon race. It was not until I witnessed a competition firsthand that I realized what it entailed, how much endurance, strength, technique, and most importantly, passion, it required. A 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike ride, and 26.2 mile run. Yes, it's doable, lots of people seem to do it, but to me, it still seems a bit...well, insane. 


And then, a few days ago, I found out there were such events as DOUBLE and TRIPLE Ironman competitions!!!! I was perusing a running forum, and someone just casually mentioned that they were thinking of registering for a triple Ironman. I thought I had misread that, but I decided to use my old stand-by Google and do some research. Turns out, although there are only a few, such events do exist, and some people are just crazy enough to participate!


Can you imagine? 4.4 miles in the water, 224 miles on the bike, and a 52.4 mile run?? Or, a 7.2 mile swim, 336 mile bike ride, and a 78.6 mile run???? I know there are "ultra" events out there, like 50 to 100 mile runs, century rides, people who swim the English Channel...but forget ultra...I'd call this extreme.

On the other hand, I can see how amazingly cool it would be to say you had done a triple Ironman. Although, you might have to say it from beyond the grave, because somehow covering  421.8 miles all at once seems like a death wish.


Anyway, if you're curious about some of the athletes that have taken on this feat, click here for an article about a man and a woman who have finished doubles.



No comments:

Post a Comment