Sunday, October 25, 2009

What a drag...

I'm talking about the drag of my lower body while I swim. I had another lesson with B on Friday. I've officially been swimming for over 2 months now, and I was hoping that I would be able to impress her with my rapid improvements in form and technique. When I got to the pool at 6:30 on Friday morning, B was finishing up her own workout, so she told me to hop in and do some warm-up laps and she'd be right back. I started swimming in exactly the same fashion I've been practicing - just jump in and start freestyling. When I glanced up after my second lap, B was watching me with her arms folded across her chest.


"OK!" she said. "OK..." she repeated, rubbing her hands together. That's when I knew that she wasn't awed or impressed by my swimming abilities. B told me that the main problem was the drag that my lower body was creating, slowing me down and forcing my arms to do double the work. Basically, I wasn't using my legs, glutes, or core, and was pulling myself through the water using solely my arms, dragging my legs behind me like a paralytic. And, as I should have known, because this is almost always the case, the core is the most important component of all things athletic - the core is the body's powerhouse. 


The other problem - OK one of the other problems, because let's face it, there were many - with my technique was that I was only breathing to one side. I'm just much more comfortable breathing to my right side. But, B explained, if you only breathe to one side every time you swim, the whole time you swim, the muscles on that side become stronger and more developed than on the other side, leading to an overall imbalance. Actually, she said, Michael Phelps only ever breathes to one side, and if you look closely you can tell he isn't balanced - he could actually improve his technique, she said. I understand that she was just giving me an example, but I mean HELLO, Phelps is only like the greatest swimmer ever, so if he can get away with breathing to only one side, why can't I?? Whatever.


The result of all this was that B had me go all the way back to the start, and work on the simplest drills again. How frustrating. I really think that part of what is making this whole thing so hard for me is my lack of coordination. While I'm swimming, I'm constantly mentally checking all the parts of my body to make sure they're doing what they are supposed to. Head down, but not too far down, chin tucked to chest, arms out at slight 'Y', elbows straight, core strong, butt up above water, legs kicking, feet fluttering...so many things to remember! When you add breathing while trying not to swallow water and drown to the mix...there is too much to keep track of!



Eventually, after working on all the basic drills, I got to a point on Friday where I did two lengths, with a double stroke, still only breathing to the right, where B said my form was "excellent." YES! But when I tried to progress to a triple stroke, alternating breathing to each side, the whole thing fell apart. It's the coordination factor, I'm telling you! I was paying so much attention to stroking exactly three times and breathing to the correct side that I got confused, missed a breath, panicked, flailed, etc.


Then B gave me a science lesson using a pool noodle, and a ball. "I always give this lesson to the kids I teach, but maybe I should do it with the adults, too," she said. Ha. Great. Anyway, the ball represented the lungs, and the noodle represented the body. She showed me how, while swimming, the majority of the body should be over and out in front of the lungs, rather than dragging down behind them. Then, she told me that until my next lesson, I should practice double stroking, but breathing to each side. She also said I should work on strengthening my core, my powerhouse, which I thought I was doing sufficiently just by all the exercising I do combined with the strength class I take every Monday...but I guess I'll be doing some extra planks and crunches from now on.


On Saturday, my lower back was very sore, which is exactly how it should NOT feel after swimming. Darn that weak core and my dragging legs. I still have a very long way to go, but I have some hope. After all, Michael Phelps isn't perfect either, according to B...





I don't know though...his body looks perfectly balanced...any comparison between myself and Michael Phelps is a-OK with me!! 

2 comments:

  1. I really don't have anything helpful to add like Jen, as I don't know how to swim, but picturing you pulling yourself through the water without using any muscles except your arms (and in said picture you had on an olympic swimsuit, a swim cap, AND floaties) made me giggle, just a little :) You are going to pick up these new techniques and absolutely rock at swimming. Look out Michael Phelps!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry, I couldn't read the post because I was too distracted by that HOTTIE picture! lol

    You'll get better, just takes more and more practice!

    ReplyDelete