Monday, March 29, 2010

Revelation

OK, so I don't think this will come as a surprise to any of my blog followers, since I believe most of you "know" me, but I do make a (meager) living as a writer, of sorts. I'm a staff reporter at a small-town newspaper. After 2+ tedious years spent working in corporate cubicle land, this job has been a huge blessing and relief. It's more than just a job, it's a career. I've always wanted to write. I've been doing it for over a year now.

And yet. This past weekend, I went to a press convention. It was a combination of instructional lectures and awards ceremonies. There were 64 lectures spanning a huge variety of topics over the course of 48 hours. I decided to go to one about creative story ideas, and while I sat and listened to the types of features that the speaker and others in attendance had worked on, I realized that I was bored with writing about town politics, zoning committees, and petty crime. Our paper is SO small, that we don't have much room for features, especially ones that aren't directly relevant to our coverage area. 

What would I LOVE to write about? Well, obviously running and/or triathloning. Athletes. Maybe health/nutrition. But definitely something that I'm passionate about - and I can tell you it's definitely not local politicians! 

Of course, I don't expect to be able to change career paths right away. I do enjoy my job and (most) of the people I work with, and if I really want to be able to write for a larger publication it would probably require moving. At least this "revelation" has inspired me to update my resume and compile a portfolio of the feature stories I have managed to write - including one about a triathlete and another about an Ironman! Hey, it's something!

1 comment:

  1. You forgot to tell everyone that you are now an award winning journalist for best crime story! It may not be your passion, but I guess you're good at any kind of writing! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete