Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Why do people think it's OK to...

...make ridiculous comments to me while I'm running?


I don't know if just lacing up my sneakers and hitting the pavement is somehow the same thing as putting a sign around my neck or on my back that says "Please talk to me!" but it seems like people interpret it that way.


I recently had a five minute conversation with a guy who slowed down his pick-up truck to drive alongside me while I ran. I know that sounds incredibly dangerous, but it was broad daylight on a relatively busy street, and there were a lot of people around, so I wasn't terribly concerned. I'm not an idiot. Well, most of the time, anyway. This particular man, who apparently had seen me running down the same street in the past, slowed down to ask if I was training for something. When I told him yes, a marathon, I got to hear a long narrative about how he trained all year for a half marathon, but injured his sciatica and had to bail on it. Plus, his sister ran a marathon through Team in Training. After about a quarter of a mile, I knew practically his entire life story. I was trying to be polite, but I mean, hello, I was also trying to RUN! Eventually he wished me luck and drove on.


Granted, that was the only real "conversation" I've had with a stranger while running, but there have been plenty of shouts and fleeting exchanges. Just today I had two different encounters. I headed out in the morning for a six mile run, and passed by a couple of people paving a driveway down the street. I tried to make myself invisible, but as I went by, one of the men yelled out "Just 3 more miles to go!" I chuckled, and from a distance heard another say "It's only 3 miles from here to my house." Cue lots of macho guffaws. 


Later I was making my way down another side street when a taxi went by. The driver called out "Good job!" and gave me a thumbs-up out the window, a hand signal he kept up until he was out of my sight. 


Now, I appreciate the sentiments of all of these people. Clearly, man number one just wanted a little camaraderie, group number two wanted to let me know I didn't have far to go (even though they were wrong), and I think it's pretty obvious that guy number three wanted to tell me how awesome I was. Thanks guys!


But seriously, I should think it would be obvious that running is not exactly conducive to a conversation or acceptance of praise. I wish people* would realize that. 


* There is one exception I will make, and that is the crazy man who plays the guitar and sometimes sings me songs about how girls aren't supposed to run as I go by. That shit makes me laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment