Thursday, December 31, 2009

Ask (or don't) and you shall receive.

The trick to getting useful gifts around the holidays, without having to bother with a list, is to pick up a hobby. For example, if people know you like to read, they will buy you books, or gift cards to book stores. If people know you like to cook, they will buy you cook books. If people know you like to drink, they will buy you a membership to the beer/wine of the month club, or perhaps a membership to the local branch of AA.

Or, simply let people know that you're into running, and training for a marathon and triathlon, and you'll be inundated with related presents. You won't even have to ask. And you will like it.

Here, a sampling of the things I opened on Christmas morning:

In no particular order, there is a pair of Saucony gloves/mittens (what do you call those things?), an Asics fleece, a pair of 2XU tri shorts, a Frog Light for the bike, biking gloves, a Camelbak water bottle + mount for the bike, Under Armour capri tights, a headlamp, and a Road ID. Not pictured is a pair of Balega socks (they were dirty). 

Points of interest in these products include the fact that the Saucony gloves have a tiny blinking LED light on the palm, the tri shorts have fleece (or for you fancy people "chamois") in the crotch, the headlamp battery case is extremely hard to open, I'm debating wearing the Balega socks during my marathon, and most of these items either are, or contain, the color pink.

And I didn't have to ask for a single one of these gifts. But you bet your sweet butt I can, and will, use them all.

Perhaps my favorite gift related to triathloning is not even gear. It's this sweet mug darling boyfriend stuck in my stocking:



I also got another little "surprise" right around the holidays, but no one had to pay for it or wrap it up (except maybe me, in the future). *WARNING: If you don't like feet, don't continue!*




It's my first EVER black toenail! The picture is a bit blurry, but clearly it's my second toe. It's a kind of gross, but I'm a little proud of it. It's like my own personal initiation into the long-distance running club. I think I'll be OK with it, as long as it doesn't fall off. I don't plan on giving myself a pedicure until after the marathon.

1 comment:

  1. I love all your gifts!!! I have 2 gift cards to a local running store and Lululemon that I need to use...yay new gear!

    ReplyDelete