Friday, April 9, 2010

These are a few of my favorite links

As you all have probably gathered from previous blog posts, including this one and this one, I like to shop. Like, really, a lot. It's weird, because I have zero fashion sense, but I do love scoring a good deal. If something was ridiculously ugly, but 50% off, I'd probably buy it, just in case I might need it someday. 

So, I thought I'd put together a list of some of my favorite websites that have served me well during my many deal-hunting sessions.* As a disclaimer, since I did just admit that I buy hideous things, there are many cute things on these sites - I'm just not trendy enough to figure out what they are and what the difference is. I'm sure you all are, though.

1.) Steep and Cheap, here is the link. Steep and Cheap is a "one deal at a time" site. Their motto is "One killer gear deal, one item at a time, until it's gone." They feature one item on their main page for a set length of time - usually 15 to 25 minutes - and then move on to the next deal. Did I mention that these items are anywhere from 30% to 80% off retail prices, and most are usually at least 45%-50% off?? They sell outdoor gear for running, biking, hiking, skiing, camping, and the like. They. Are. Awesome. And the site is addicting because you keep checking every 5 minutes to see what the current deal is. I once got a pair of CW-X compression tights, which normally retail for about $90, for $36.99 from this site. I'm currently awaiting the arrival of a pair of trail shoes I ordered - I got them for $45.99 and the cheapest I could find them elsewhere was $89. Check it out yourself, but I warned you - it is addicting.

2.) Bonktown. This site is very similar to Steep and Cheap, because it is "one deal at a time", but it only sells cycling gear. I actually found Bonktown by clicking on an ad on Steep and Cheap's page (damn effective advertising...my click probably earned Steep and Cheap a nickel, too). I haven't bought anything from Bonktown, but I'm absolutely positive that's going to change in the very near future. As I write this post, Bonktown's current deal is a Louis Garneau Dream Top cycling tank - retail price $79.95. What's it going for on Bonktown? $16.99. Come on people! That's a freakin' steal!

3.) Swim Outlet. Yep, I've posted about this site before, but I like it so much, it's getting a second shout-out. Swim Outlet is the home of the swimsuit grab bag, where I got my surprise pink and orange TYR suit for like $19.99 or something. If you're willing to take your chances on colors and patterns (and for these prices, you really should be) then you can get TYR and Speedo suits here for about 50% off of the retail prices (sure they might be last season's suits, but who cares? How much does a bathing suit really change over one season?). Aside from the whole grab bag deal, they have tonssss of other bathing suits, of every brand, for less than retail value. They also have all your swim accessories: goggles, swim training aids, sandals, etc. You could waste hours looking at everything on this site (I should know...I've done it). 

4.) Endless. OK, this is a deviation, because this site doesn't really have awesome deals, at least price-wise. BUT I decided it deserved to be mentioned because it's where I buy my running shoes. This is important, because I wear a ridiculously hard to find size and width. I have tiny feet and the only shoe I've been able to find that works for me is the Aasics Gel Cumulus, size 5, 2A width (that's extra narrow, in case you were wondering). It's seriously almost impossible to find this shoe and I'm guaranteed never to find it in a store. My local running store actually stopped carrying it because there "wasn't much demand for it." Huh. Imagine that. However, Endless always seems to have my shoe in stock, which is amazing. It's entirely possible that they just have a surplus because no one else in the world wears this size, and that after I've bought out their supply, I'll never find it again. Maybe someone from the Endless site will read this blog and realize how much I really, really need them to order more. Anybody? Hello??

5.) All 3 Sports. Yes, you guessed it, this is a site that sells triathlon gear. They pretty much have everything you could need for a triathlon, from bikes to wetsuits. The set-up is nothing fancy, just a whole bunch of items categorized by event and gender. My favorite page on the site is the "closeouts" page. That's exactly what it sounds like - going once, going twice, closeout deals. What I like to do is go to the store, try things on, and then check All 3 Sports to see if I can find whatever I liked at a better price. It's a good site for shoes and wetsuits, if you know exactly what you're looking for. I got a pair of fleecy Sugoi tights from All 3 Sports for the low, low price of $25.99.

So, there you have it. My top 5 favorite sites for indulging in retail therapy. If you're wondering why I didn't post any sites for buying real, actual clothes, then you weren't paying enough attention at the beginning of this post. I have no fashion sense. This is the stuff I wear out in public...

*None of these sites asked me to endorse them, nor did they send me any free stuff. If they want to send me free stuff, by all means, they should and I will kiss their asses even more.

3 comments:

  1. OMG this is awesome. I have spent seriously hours on SwimOutlet and now I have a feeling steep and cheap and All3Sports are going to be a part of my hour a day of online window shopping :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love love discount shopping!!!! Great links!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG THANKS!!!!!! I'm going to bookmark this post for future reference. THANK YOU for the links!!! I'm so excited to go click them!

    ReplyDelete